Joachim (born c. 1640), son of Salomon, moved to Lobositz,
Bohemia, from Poland around 1648 in order to escape the Cossack-Polish War.1 He married a daughter of Emanuel Katzenstein and had children: Esterl (1664), unknown daughter (c. 1670),
Eyßich (1674), Pinckas (1681), Selig (1685), and Salomon.
Joachim died in Lobositz in 1713. His son, Pinckas married Esterl from Laun, likely daughter of Löbel Simon MIROTIC,2 in 1701 and had children: Simon (1703), Kaile
(1707), Abraham (1709), Resel (1719), and Edl (1721). Simon settled in Lichtenstadt in 1722, married Edel "Adelheit" BONDI,
daughter of Rabbi Salomon and Sara, and
had at least two children, including Herz (1724).3
By at least 1779, Herz had adopted the surname BENEDICT.4
BENEDICT married Rößel from Konigswarth in 1760, lived in Lichtenstadt, and had
(1773), and Margaretha (1776). After Rößel died, widower Herz
married widow Rachel
(1739) in 1779 and had a son, Lazar
(1787). Herz also had daughters Rebeka and Ester (unknown whether their
mother was Herz's first or second wife). Herz died in 1812
followed by Rosalia
married David MOSER, son of Moises and Veronika nee BEER, in
Lichtenstadt in 1800 and had children: Moises (1799),
Resel (1801), Simon (1803), and Latzer (1807). She died in 1822
David in 1834.
BENEDIKT married Rachel BERMANN (1776), daughter of Aron and Sara nee
ZAINER, in Lichtenstadt in
1797 and had children: Resel (1799), Ana (1801), Näta
Bermann (1804), Simon (1805), Joachim (1809), Ester (1813),
(1814), Sara (1816), Rosalia (1818), Rebeka (1819), and Aron
(1822). Salomon died in Lichtenstadt in 1840 followed by Rachel in
- Resel "Rosina" BENEDIKT married Abraham "Albert"
HELLER, son of
Judith nee KOHN, in 1824 and had at least children: Herschmann
(1823), Herman (1824), Gottlieb (1825), Emilie (1827), Rosalia (1834),
Klara (1835), Bertha (1837). Albert died in 1854.
- Näta "Nechema" BENEDIKT married Löw HELLER,
of Falkman and Ewa, and had at
least six children: Adolph (1823), Sara (1825), Adam (1827), Mina
(1829), Fany (1831), and Bernard (1833). Löw died in 1896.
- Bermann "Bernard" BENEDIKT married Babette ABELES,
Karoline nee LOWI, in Lichtenstadt in 1827 and had children:
Anna (1828), Herz (1829), Leopold (1830), Aron (1833), Herz (1834),
Sara (1835), Bertha
(1836), Lotti (1836), Moses (1839), Mina (1842), Theresia (1846), and
Laura (1849). Bernard died in 1875.
- Anna BENEDIKT married Moses "Moritz" ROSENBAUM in
1849 and had children: Victor (1852) and Laura (1855). Anna died in
- Herz BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1829.
- Leopold BENEDIKT married Johanna
GUTWILLIG and had children: Franziska (1855), Albert (1856), Alfred
(1858), Emma (1859), Laura (1861), Helene (1862), and Josef
(1864). Leopold died in 1900.
- Alfred BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1857.
- Helene BENEDIKT died in 1867.
- Josef BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1864.
- Aron BENEDIKT died in 1833.
- Herz BENEDIKT (second born Herz) died as an infant in
BENEDIKT married Ludwig Lowi MOSER from Karlsbad, son of Lazar and
Henriette nee BECHER, and had children: Rudolf (1860), Arthur (1862),
Friedrich (1863), and twin daughters (1869). Lotti died in 1869.
- Moses BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1839.
- Mina "Wilhelmina" BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1843.
- Theresia BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1846.
- Laura BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1849.
BENEDIKT married Rosalia PERUTZ from Teplitz in
Lichtenstadt in 1832 and had children: Edward, Jetta (1834),
Philipp (1836), Wolf (1840), Antonia (1841), Josef,
Norbert, Phillip, Herman
(1845), Sigmund (1845), Camilla (1847), Karl (1848), and Josef
(1849). He died in 1896.
- Jetta BENEDIKT died as an infant in Lichtenstadt in
- Philipp BENEDIKT died as a child in 1839.
- Wolf "Veit" BENEDIKT married Elise
RINDSKOPF, daughter of Siegmund and Johanna nee HAHN. They had eight
Marianne (1873), Emmy (1875), Berthold (1876), Leo (1879), Kamilla
(1882), Rosel (1883), Otto (1885), and Justl (1892). In 1882, Veit and
his brother Phillip founded the Gebrüder
Benedikt (Benedikt Brothers) Porcelain factory. He died in
Karlsbad in 1911.
- Marianne BENEDIKT married Sigmund HIRSCH
from Germany in 1894 and had at least one daughter named Ada
"Adele" the following year.
- Emmy BENEDIKT married Hugo MOSER, son of David and
Babette nee SPITZ from Karlsbad, and had at least one son, Kurt (1906).
- Kamilla BENEDIKT married Emil RINDSKOPF,
of Eduard and Pauline nee LANGER. Both
died in the Holocaust.
- Rosel BENEDIKT married Georg NEUBERG from
Leitmeritz. Both died in the Holocaust.
- Antonia BENEDIKT married Julius RINDSKOPF from
Teplitz-Schonau, son of
Beer and Barbara nee KOHN and uncle of the previous Elise, in 1863.
- Herman BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1845.
- Sigmund BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1845.
- Camilla BENEDIKT married Adolf ROSENFELD, son of
Moritz and Regine nee ECKSTEIN, in 1868.
- Karl BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1848.
BENEDIKT married Ewa KOHN (1812) from
daughter of Simon and
Sara, in 1834 and had children: Nathan (1835), Alexander
Pauline (1838), Philipp (1840), Elisabeth (1841), Maria (1843), Rosie,
(1848), and Eduard (1848). He died in Karlsbad in 1879.
- Alexander BENEDIKT died in Vienna in 1872.
- Pauline BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1839.
- Elisabeth BENEDIKT died as an infant in 1842.
- Maria BENEDIKT died as a child in 1846.
- Rosie BENEDIKT married Ernst FISCHER, son of Adam and
Franziska nee KOHN, in 1867.
- Ester BENEDIKT died as a child in Lichtenstadt in 1816.
- Herzlib BENEDIKT died as an infant in Lichtenstadt in
- Sara BENEDIKT died as an infant in Lichtenstadt in 1817.
- Rosalia BENEDIKT died as an infant in Lichtenstadt in
- Rebeka BENEDIKT died as an infant in Lichtenstadt in
- Isak Hersch BENEDIKT died in Lichtenstadt in 1835.
- Aron BENEDIKT married Therese GUTWILIG, daughter of
Josef and Fanni nee RAIMANN, in 1851.
son of Emanuel and Pepi nee PREISSKER,
in Lichtenstadt in 1802 and had
children: Ester (1803) and Klara (1806). After Falkmann died
in 1813, Margaretha married Salomon FISCHER, son of Isaak and Libuscha
nee STEIN, in Lichtenstadt in 1817 and had children:
Sara (1816), Rachel (1817), Isack
(1821), and Jette (1823).
BENEDIKT married Rachel LEDERER, daughter of Wolf, in Lichtenstadt in
1805 and had
children: Joachim (1809), Herz (1822), and Leopold (1826).
- Joachim BENEDIKT emigrated to Hungary in 1826.
- Herz BENEDIKT emigrated to Hungary in 1847.
1. The 1724 census of Lobositz describes Joachim Salomon as
having come to Lobositz at a young age and as the brother of the
previously listed Eyßich Salomon. The latter is described as having
arrived in Lobositz from Poland about 1648 at the beginning of the
"Cossack War". Thus, it is presumed that the brothers shared the same
origin and, since Joachim was young at the time, arrived together.
Only one Jewish family had protection status in Laun (Lebl Mirotic in
1655) through at least the second half of the 17th century. See the
Hugo Gold encyclopedia entry for Laun, Leipzig fair directory p. 491, and Jahrbuch entry.
3. The Familiant record of Herz Benedict lists
his parents in
Lichtenstadt lists his parents as Simon and
Adelheit and that he was married in 1760 and 1779. The earlier
marriage appears to match well with a marriage permission
recorded in the Gubernium in 27 October 1758 between Hertzl
Lobositz, Lichtenstadt Schutzjuden
Jew), and Rösel from Königswart. From Herz's death record in
Lichtenstadt in 1812 at the age of 88, he was born about
1724 census of Lichtenstadt lists Simon
Pinckes from Lobositz, 21 years old, who settled in Lichtenstadt in
1722 and was
married to Edel, daughter of Rabbi Salomon Bondi. The 1724 census
of Lobositz lists Simon, 22 years old, married in Lichtenstadt,
son of Pinkas Joachim, as well as his father Joachim Salomon.
This surname is often spelled "Benedikt" (with a "k" rather than a "c")
in Bohemian records. However, the oldest known record for this family in which the surname is listed (the 1779 marriage
permission for Herz Benedict) lists the surname with the spelling "Benedict". The two spellings appear to be interchangeable.
5. It is unknown if there was a connection
between Herz Benedict, described above, and Jacob Benedict,
whose family also resided in Lichtenstadt. At this point, it is believed
that there was not, since Herz's paternal line can be definitively
traced back to Lobositz, while Jacob's paternal line is hypothesized to
have gone back further in Lichtenstadt.
thanks to Paul King for his assistance in researching this family.